Monday, February 05, 2007

The End Racial Profiling Act

I have an amusing story relevant to the End Racial Profiling Act (EPRA), which would de facto make it illegal to question a muslim about terrorism. Before the amusing story, I thought I should review that logic of how ERPA would make it illegal to question muslims about terrorism, as obviously, the bill doesn't state that explicitly. Pretend you are a screener at a airport and an obvious muslim comes up and acts suspicious. If ERPA passed and you search the muslim without finding evidence of bad intent, you would be accused of racism and possibly fired and even fined! Islamic terrorists are smart enough to send out a few suspicious decoys until the airport screeners learn to just not question muslims.

Now, the promised amusing story: I talked to a homeless man already taking advantage of leftist sentiment about racial profiling. The University near where I live is using its police force to chase the homeless out of the area. I'm not wise to know whether I should condemn this or support this. So the homeless man's response is to wear one of those wretched Arab scarves. The University police now leave him alone. The actions of the University police are a weird, but altogether expected, leftist mixture of political correctness and disdain for the actual poor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We appease far too much. If it were up to me, they'd be in trains.

Demosthenes said...

Some of the problem with the homeless is that they are just crazy. I fear we are just stuck tolerating the non-aggressive ones. We do need more ability to institutionalize the more the more aggressive one than the politically allow. I suspect you and I are in fact kinder to the homeless than the ACLU position is. It may not be what we or they intend, but it is still the case.